There are thousands of strains of mold. Many of them have no effect on humans, some cause subtle irritation, and others can be serious health hazards. If you suspect the presence of harmful mold in your home or workplace, it is important to have it tested, identified, and if needed, move ahead with mold remediation as soon as possible.
How Does Mold Grow?
In order to grow, mold requires water or high humidity, suitable temperatures, and a food source. In most buildings, the only thing missing is humidity, and chances are once that is added, you will end up with some mold growth. Added humidity can be due to flooding, a leaky roof, cracked foundation, storm damage, leaking plumbing or other water damage. Additionally, since mold spreads through spores, improper cleaning can actually spread the spores and increase mold infestation.
Indicators There May be Mold in the House
- Damp, moldy, or musty smell in the basement
- Stains or discolorations on ceilings, walls, or floors may be signs of water damage which often leads to mold growth.
- Asthmatic episodes worsening when in the home for those with asthma
- Allergic episodes worsening when in the home for those with allergies
- Congestion, runny nose, and sneezing
- Itchy, watery, or sore eyes
- Headaches or dizziness
- Skin rashes
- The first step in mold remediation is to ensure that the source of humidity or water has been removed or repaired and that water damage restoration has been completed.
- If mold is detected in the HVAC system, we recommend the filters be replaced and ducts and vents be professionally cleaned.
- In some cases, specialized cleaning methods will suffice to remove mold from a building.
- In other cases, demolition and removal of the building’s mold-ridden materials and furnishings are necessary before cleanup and reconstruction can occur.
At Integrity Carpet Care, LLC, we take indoor air quality and our customers’ health seriously. Contact us today at (317) 730-2570 to request a quote or to discuss mold remediation, water damage cleanup, or any of our many cleaning and restoration services for your Indianapolis-area home or business. You can breathe more easily knowing Integrity Carpet Care, LLC is on the job!